- Programme Officer, Focus on the Global South — India office
- IT Specialist, Focus on the Global South — Regional office
Focus on the Global South-India (Focus-India) is a non profit, policy analysis and research organisation registered in India in 2005. For the past 18 years, Focus has conducted research and analysis from the perspective of the global south on issues such as globalisation, trade, governance, climate change, agriculture and development, grounded in our commitment to social, ecological and gender justice, democracy and plurality. Our main research programmes include Political Economy of Development, Democracy and Alternatives.
The India office is hiring a Programme Officer specifically to work on agriculture and related issues such as food sovereignty and agroecology.
Job Title: Programme Officer, Focus on the Global South — India office
- Develop and implement a programme of research, popular education and advocacy on food and agriculture with specific emphasis on food sovereignty, sustainable agriculture and food systems;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of other projects in India and the broader region;
- Conduct and disseminate research;
- Support the development of effective advocacy by social movements and Focus’ grassroots partners.
- Contribute to the development, coordination and implementation of research and campaigning related to agriculture and related issues.
- In consultation with relevant Focus staff, conceptualise, develop and implement programme activities including, for example:
- Working papers, policy briefs and other research outputs;
- Presentations at conferences and workshops
- Organise meetings and events
- Liaison with media
- Serve as a resource person for training and capacity building activities organised by Focus or its partners/ allies;
- Strengthen Focus’ relationships with its key allies and build relationships with new ones;
- Represent Focus in meetings with government agencies, social movements and in other relevant platforms/spaces;
- Actively participate and contribute to Focus’ broader team processes;
- Contribute to the effective management of project budgets and expenditure;
- Assist in preparing funding proposals and reports;
- Ensure project activities are reviewed and critically assessed on a regular basis.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Post Graduate studies in Social Sciences or Rural Development; or equivalent non-formal education and work experience;
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following issues: Agriculture policy, Agro-ecology and Sustainable Agriculture;
- Demonstrable experience of conducting research (developing research methodologies and approaches, designing research projects, establishing research collaborations) on issues related to food and agriculture; Good knowledge of Indian policy frameworks, agreements and initiatives affecting food and agriculture ;
- Experience of writing and editing for a range of audiences including narrative reports, briefing papers, campaign materials, and proposals;
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects independently, including planning, budget management, communication, financial reporting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Good understanding of social movements and other actors in the relevant national/sub region
- A consultative, participative and gender-sensitive approach to work;
- Excellent written and verbal English and fluency in at least one other Indian language
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in research, policy advocacy and campaigns;
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, set priorities, and fulfill responsibilities on time and on budget;
- A strong commitment to justice, peace, equality and non-discrimination;
- Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally;
- Willingness to travel extensively, as required.
The Programme Officer will report directly to the Focus’ India Head of Office; secondary supervision will be conducted by Focus’ Executive Director.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is based in New Delhi. We offer a two-year contract with a three-month probationary period. The Focus salary package is at par with similar research organisations and includes standard social benefits.
Interested candidates should email their resume with a brief covering letter and writing sample at [email protected]. Please mention ‘India Programme Officer’ application in the subject line of the email. We will respond only to short-listed candidates. There is no application deadline and the post will remain open until filled.
Focus on the Global South, an activist think tank in Asia providing analysis and building alternatives for just social, economic, and political change, is currently seeking a skilled IT Specialist to join our team. The IT Specialist will be responsible for providing IT support and services across our offices in Bangkok, Cambodia, Philippines, and India, and to also help us with redesigning and maintaining our website. The position can be based in our Bangkok office or remotely, as long as the candidate is within a timezone compatible with our offices.
Job Title: IT Specialist
Location: Bangkok, Thailand or remote (compatible timezone)
- Provide IT support to staff members across all offices, addressing hardware, software, and network issues in a timely manner.
- Manage and maintain the organization’s website, ensuring it remains up-to-date, functional, and secure.
- Oversee the website redesign process, including developing a timeline, budget, and key deliverables, and ensuring it meets our requirements and is delivered on time and within budget.
- Develop and maintain the website, ensuring it is up-to-date, functional, and secure.
- Ensure website content is properly formatted and optimized for search engines.
- Provide technical support to website users and resolve any technical issues that arise.
- Work with external vendors to integrate third-party tools and applications into the website as needed.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging website development trends and technologies and recommend improvements to the website as needed.
- Train and educate staff on website best practices and ensure they are able to use the website effectively.
- Support the communications team with content management system (CMS) usage, troubleshooting, and updates.
- Oversee email systems, ensuring reliable delivery, proper configuration, and addressing any issues that arise.
- Assist in integrating social media platforms into the organization’s website, email campaigns, and other communication channels.
- Provide technical assistance for webinars, video conferences, and other digital communication events.
- Monitor and report on website traffic, social media engagement, and email campaign performance using tools such as Google Analytics and social media analytics.
- Provide support for the development and access of digital outreach analytics for reporting and assessments.
- Set up and maintain communication and collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams, and Zoom.
- Offer technical assistance for graphic design software, including troubleshooting technical issues and maintaining the software.
- Support the team in creating and streamlining a digital repository or shared drive for staff.
- Ensure that the digital repository is user-friendly, secure, and accessible to all staff.
- Develop guidelines and best practices for maintaining and updating the digital repository.
- Ensure IT security for all communication channels and protect sensitive information and user privacy.
- Ensure digital communications meet accessibility standards and comply with applicable regulations.
- Train and support staff on IT-related tools, systems, and processes.
- Conduct research and analysis to identify the best platforms and tools for the organization’s needs, taking into account factors such as security, accessibility, and ease of use.
- Advise the team on IT strategy and provide guidance on integrating new platforms and tools into existing systems.
- Undertake any other tasks requested by the management and communications teams that are related to IT support and website management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in IT support, network administration, or a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of computer hardware, software, and networking technologies.
- Experience with website management, CMS, email systems, and social media integration.
- Familiarity with communication and collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams, Slack, or Zoom.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work effectively with staff members in multiple locations and time zones.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken; knowledge of other languages spoken in our offices is a plus.
- Experience working in a non-profit or social justice organization.
- Knowledge of accessibility standards and regulations.
- Experience with remote working arrangements.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references, to [email protected]. Please include “IT Specialist Application” in the subject line of your email.
There is no application deadline and the post will remain open until filled.
Focus on the Global South is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.