- Focus on the Global South joins several Thai civil society members in strongly calling that:
- the Thai Government immediately stop firing at people and pull back all of its armed personnel from all the conflict zones, unconditionally;
- the UDD leaders call all their members and supporters back to the main camp and refrain from all violent means of demonstration;
- both the Government and the UDD agree without any delay to return to the negotiation process with full commitment to serving the interests of all Thai society, rather than selected factions or groups, as the basis for negotiations;
- the Thai Government’s commitment in these negotiations be no less than the five-steps reconciliation proposal which the Government announced to the Thai public and international community; these include elections no later than November 2010;
- all the parties involved in causing deaths and injuries in the past 2 months assume responsibility for their actions and submit themselves equally to judicial processes, and;
- the Government and UDD accept the presence of national-international human rights monitors to monitor peaceful resolution of the current conflicts, including the new elections;
Political differences should not be used by any side to foment hatred. We urge the Thai Government and all members of Thai society to commit to peace and equity as non-negotiable principles in the resolution of all conflicts.