The Thailand Programme Officer will support the development and implementation of the organization’s programmes. In Thailand, Focus works with social movements, CSOs, and academics on land, natural resources, human rights, democracy, trade, and investment. Among others, Focus contributes to strengthening analysis on those issues, provides spaces for dialogues and discussion, and supports struggles of social movements and local communities. The post holder must initiate, support and, where necessary, lead innovative projects that are in line with the organization’s overall goals and programme.
Key Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Focus Executive Director and as part of Mekong programme, the Thailand Programme Officer will:
- Work with other Focus staff to plan, implement and coordinate activities in Thailand and the Mekong region, in line with Focus’ core thematic programmes
- Build collaborative relationships with social movements and other civil society actors, and policy makers in Thailand.
- Initiate and support partners/allies in conducting research, analyses and advocacy
- Develop and promote critical analyses of national and regional contexts, and use these analyses to support advocacy work in Thailand and the Mekong region.
- Disseminate Focus’ analyses through popular education activities, papers and outreach materials.
- Represent Focus in meetings, conferences and workshops, and to visitors as needed.
- Assist the Finance and Accounts Officers in managing budgets and implementing appropriate financial controls.
- Assist the Executive Director in developing funding proposals, identifying potential sources of funding, and maintaining good relationships with donors.
- Work with Focus’ Communications Officer in the promotion of Focus ideas and analysis and help in outreach strategies for the programme.
- Thai national with minimum three years work experience in Thailand, preferably with social movements, grassroots CSOs, networks and local/national activists.
- Good understanding of socio-economic, political and ecological conditions, and processes of change in Thailand and other Mekong countries.
- Strong analytical, conceptual and strategic thinking skills, capacity for research and ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills with verbal and written fluency in Thai and English.
- Ability to work in politically challenging environments and conditions.
- A consultative, participative and gender-sensitive approach to work.
- Commitment to Focus’ values and ethos, a history of activism and a strong commitment to social justice.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the proven ability to work in different cultural contexts. Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally.
This is a full-time position based at Focus’ Bangkok office. The post offers a salary commensurate with experience and comparable to those of other regional organizations.
Applications should be in English and include a cover letter, CV, writing samples both in Thai and English and contact details of at least two referees. Please send applications to [email protected] with “Thailand Programme Officer” in the subject line.