Focus is a non-governmental organization with offices in Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines and India. Focus combines policy research, advocacy, activism and grassroots capacity building in order to generate critical analysis and debates among social movements, civil society organizations, elected officials, government functionaries and the general public on national and international policies related to corporate-led globalization, neo-liberalism and democratisation. Focus works at multiple levels (local to international) and with a wide array of partners.
The Programme Development Officer (PDO) will work closely with Focus’ Executive Director and Management Team. The main areas of work of the PDO are: 1) Anchor the preparation of reports and proposals to funders, and; 2) oversee the financial and administrative operations of the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
- Anchor preparation of reports and proposals to funders
- Work with Focus staff in India, Thailand, Cambodia and Philippines to develop project proposals and budgets.
- Lead the production of annual and project reports.
- Coordinate communications and relations with organizational donors.
- Follow up with fundraising contacts towards the development of new project proposals
- Oversee financial and administrative operations
- Work with Focus’ administration-finance teams to lead and strengthen the Focus finance and administrative team processes
- Monitor organizational cash flow to ensure that spending is in line with the organizational budget and project commitments
- Lead preparation of the organizational budgets and financial reports.
- Oversee Focus personnel procedures and documentation.
- Coordinate Management Team and staff-wide decisions for implementation.
Person Specifications and Qualifications
The candidate should have experience working with a large and diverse team of people located in different places, and have strong communication and planning abilities. The candidate should be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and multi-task as needed. Specific qualifications include:
- Graduate or post-graduate degree in a relevant field. At least three years work experience at senior management level in relevant non-profit organisations within a regional or international context.
- Demonstrable experience in writing quality proposals and reports to donors, identifying and developing relationships with donors, and representing the organization to donors and potential donors
- Experience in financial management and organizational budgeting, as well as in dealing with auditors.
- Experience in contributing to the development of organizational policies and human resources processes.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-country, flexibly structured team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and experience working within a diverse team.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with travel as necessary.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills; knowledge of a major Southeast or South Asian language is an advantage.
- Knowledge of current social, economic and political justice issues in Asia, and a strong commitment to economic and social justice.
Location, Accountability, Compensation
This position is based in the Focus office in Bangkok. The PDO reports to the Executive Director.
The post offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and good benefits.
Applications should be in English and include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, writing sample and the contact details of three referees.
Please send applications by email to [email protected] with “Programme Development Officer” in the subject line. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Short-listed applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview. Where needed, a second interview may be scheduled. Applicants not shortlisted for interviewing will not be contacted.