Location: New Delhi, India
Closing date: 31 May 2019
- Help develop, manage and implement a programme of research on agriculture with specific reference to agro-ecology and sustainable agriculture and food systems;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of projects at the India office;
- Conduct and disseminate research;
- Support the development of effective advocacy for social movements.
- Contribute to the development, coordination and implementation of research and campaigning related to agriculture and related issues.
- In consultation with relevant Focus staff, conceptualise, develop and implement programme activities including, for example:
- Working papers, policy briefs and other research outputs;
- Presentations at conferences and workshops
- Organise meetings and events
- Liaison with media
- Serve as a resource person for training and capacity building activities organised by Focus or its partners/ allies;
- Strengthen Focus’ relationships with its key allies and build relationships with new ones;
- Actively participate and contribute to Focus’ broader team processes;
- Contribute to the effective management of project budgets and expenditure;
- Assist in preparing funding proposals and reports;
- Ensure project activities are reviewed and critically assessed on a regular basis.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Post Graduate studies in Social Sciences or Rural Development; or equivalent non-formal education and work experience;
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following issues: Agriculture policy, Agro-ecology and Sustainable Agriculture;
- Demonstrable experience of conducting research (developing research methodologies and approaches, designing research projects, establishing research collaborations) on issues related to food and agriculture; Good knowledge of Indian policy frameworks, agreements and initiatives affecting food and agriculture ;
- Experience of writing and editing for a range of audiences including narrative reports, briefing papers, campaign materials, and proposals;
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects independently, including planning, budget management, communication, financial reporting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Good understanding of social movements and other actors in the relevant national/sub region
- A consultative, participative and gender-sensitive approach to work;
- Excellent written and verbal English and fluency in at least one other Indian language
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in research, policy advocacy and campaigns;
- Ability to multi-task, working under pressure and set priorities. A track record of delivering on time and on budget;
- A strong commitment to social justice;
- Excellent team work skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally;
- Willingness to travel extensively, as required.
The Programme Officer will report directly to the Focus India Head of Office; secondary supervision will be conducted by Focus Executive Director.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is based in New Delhi. It is offered initially for one year with a three-month probationary period. The Focus salary package is at par with similar research organisations and includes standard social benefits. The job carries the possibility to be developed into a longer-term position, based on two-year renewable contracts, dependent on performance and available funding.
Interested candidates should email their resume with a brief covering letter and writing sample at [email protected] by 31st May 2019. Please mention ‘India Programme Officer’ application in the subject line of the email. We will respond only to short-listed candidates.