Focus seeks a Programme Officer for its India office to strengthen its existing programme and expand programme activities into related areas.
Focus on the Global South (Focus) is a non-governmental organisation with offices in Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines, and India. Focus combines policy research, advocacy, activism and grassroot capacity building in order to generate critical analysis and debates among social movements, civil society organisations, elected officials, government functionaries and the general public on national, regional and international policies related to corporate-led globalization, neo-liberalism, militarization. Focus works at multiple levels (local to international) and with a wide array of partners. The main areas of work of Focus include Political Economy of Development (Trade & Investment and Corporate Accountability); Peoples Alternatives (Food Sovereignty & Agroecology and Systemic Alternatives), and Power and Democracy;
The position is based in the Focus India office in New Delhi.
- Help develop, manage and implement a programme of research, analysis, campaigning and networking in Focus programme areas.
- Support the development of effective advocacy and progressive, strong social/peoples’ movements.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of projects for Focus India and Focus’ overall organisational programmes.
- Implement specific research, campaigning, networking and advocacy activities.
- Contribute to the development, coordination and implementation of research, analysis, campaigning and advocacy related to food sovereignty, the commons, trade-investment (especially e-commerce), and corporate accountability.
- In consultation with relevant Focus staff, conceptualise, develop and implement programme/project activities including, for example:
- Research and analysis on specific policies, trends, and programmes;
- Prepare working papers, policy briefs and other materials for education and advocacy;
- Organise meetings and events, and link movements and organisations across different levels, sectors and regions;
- Serve as a resource person for training and capacity building activities organised by Focus or its partners/ allies;
- Strengthen Focus’ relationships with its key allies and build relationships with new allies;
- Actively participate and contribute to Focus’ broader team processes;
- Contribute to the effective management of project budgets and expenditure;
- Assist in preparing funding proposals and reports;
- Ensure project activities are reviewed and critically assessed on a regular basis.
Skills and Competencies
- Post Graduate studies in Social Sciences; or equivalent non-formal education and work experience;
- In-depth knowledge of at least two of Focus’ core, priority issues;
- Demonstrable experience of conducting research, analysis, campaigning and advocacy on at least two of Focus’ core, priority issues;
- Good knowledge of Indian policy frameworks, agreements and initiatives related to Focus’ core, priority issues;
- Experience of writing and editing for a range of audiences including narrative reports, briefing papers, campaign materials, and proposals;
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects independently, including planning, budget management, communication, financial reporting, monitoring and evaluation;A consultative, participative and gender-sensitive approach to work;
- Excellent written and verbal English and fluency in at least one other Indian language
- At least three years of relevant experience in research, policy advocacy and campaigns;
- Ability to multi-task, working under pressure and set priorities. A track record of delivering on time and on budget;
- A history of activism and strong commitment to social justice;
- Excellent team work skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally;
- Willingness to travel extensively, as required.
The Programme Officer will report directly to the Focus India Head of Office; secondary supervision will be conducted by Focus’ Executive Director.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
This post is offered initially for two years with a three-month probationary period. The contract can be extended very two years, dependent on performance and available funding.
Interested candidates should email their biodata with a brief covering letter and writing sample at [email protected] by 30th September 2018. Please state India Programme Officer application in the subject line of the email. Focus will respond only to short-listed candidates.